Our Trip To Florida Day 6

Thursday night was the beginning of Shad's work event. They put on a welcome dinner for all of the honored Qwest employees and their guests. All of the food was delicious (especially the desserts)! After the dinner we just went back to our room to get a good night sleep. Friday we woke up early to have enough time to get our gifts and catch some breakfast from the buffet before taking off for our day of deep sea fishing. I had been on a boat before and so had Shad, so we weren't prepared for what was in store. We had our hopes set on catching some mahi-mahi or if I had my wishes come true, a sailfish. Shad got a bit woozy on the way out to our fishing spot. So I thought he was getting sea sick. Once we reached our destination, it was cool and interesting seeing them set the bait. In the meantime, while we were waiting to hopefully catch our first bite, the boats fumes started to get to me, along with the swaying of the boat. One thing led to another, and soon I was puking over the side of the boat, or as the captain called it, chumming the water. I didn't feel so bad, because two other guys from Colorado were doing the same thing. In the meantime, Shad had just gotten a nice bite of something LARGE. He didn't know what a fight he had in store for him. 30-45 minutes later, with sore hands and arms and the three of us still "chumming" away, everyone caught a first glimpse of what Shad had been reeling in. The captain yelled out, "It looks like we have a huge game fish here...you've caught yourself a hammerhead shark. That's got to be at least 7 ft long and around 250 lbs. After the excitement of the day, we went and relaxed poolside to gear up for a night of awards at Shad's awards banquet.
































4 comments:

Shelley said...

What a blast! The hammerhead shark story will one for the grandkids. :)

Jen B. said...

Happy birthday Shad, Shelly was pretty good at keeping a secret.
Great job on the fishing. I bet you enjoyed your wife hanging her head over the boat while she throws up.

The food looks yummie.

Brandi said...

Rock on Shad. That hammerhead was awesome.. Goota love deep sea fishing with the puke and all that jazz..

grammie kim said...

wow, hope that red car was yours to take home along with the shark, way to go, takes more muscle than I've got to bring that one in, and looks like quest is good to you, but I am sure your good to them. Glad your both enjoying life